Wingnut Week In Review: Donald Trump vs. American Eagle
Animals have a sense about people. They just know when someone is trouble. So it really wasn’t a surprise when an American bald eagle attacked Donald Trump.
Is there a more powerful and well known symbol of America than the bald eagle? Maybe a couple, but not many. The majestic bird of prey has been an American symbol since the Continental Congress of 1782 borrowed the eagle from Roman Republic imagery, stuck some arrows in one of its talons, slipped an olive branch in the other, and put it smack in the middle of the Great Seal of the United States.
So it couldn’t have been more perfect that a bald eagle gave billionaire bigot and GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump a taste of his own this week. Wait. yet it could. The bald eagle’s name is Uncle Sam.
It’s been all over the internet. It couldn’t have been more perfect. After capping of a campaign consisting of attacking everyone who’s not rich, white, male and conservative by going full on fascist this week, Trump sat down for a Time magazine photoshoot. He was pared with the 27-year-old bald eagle for the magazine’s feature story.
Apparently Uncle Sam didn’t like Trump at all. He went on the attack almost as soon as the two got together, and had another go at him later in the same shoot.
It looks like Uncle Sam is not alone in his assessment of Trump. It may be a big hit with GOP voters, but according to an NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll, 57 percent of Americans oppose Trump’s plan to ban Muslim’s from entering the United States. Only 25 percent are for it. There may be hope for us yet.
Here’s the best of the rest of the worst in wingnuttia this week:
- Donald Trump is so popular on the right that he broke the white supremacist internet.
- Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood shooter Robert Lewis Dear ranted in court, “I’m guilty, there is no trial. I’m a warrior for the babies.” Dear killed three people, including a mother of two. Can we call it terrorism yet?
- Fox News host Bill O’Reilly said that terrorism can breed from Islam, but to Christianity. See above.
- Whoops! Fox News contributor Ralph Peters called President Obama a “total pussy” on the air, after the president’s terrorism speech. Peter’s was promptly suspended. Could it be that even Fox News has some standards?
- Pat Robertson defended Trumps Muslim travel ban, after claiming that Islam is not a religion, but a military organization.
- Gun activists in Texas are planning to stage a mock mass shooting at the University of Texas, to protest “gun-free zones” and President Obama’s calls for tougher gun control. What could possibly go wrong?
- Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) said he believes Muslim immigrants should have to renounce Sharia law. But he doesn’t think that will happen because even the two Muslim members of Congress won’t do that. Then Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) walked by.
- Radio host Bryan Fischer not only wants to ban Muslims from entering the US, he wants to pay the one already here to leave.
- During oral arguments in an Affirmative Action case, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia said that he things black students belong in “slower-track” schools. Black leaders in Congress were not amused. Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D, Nev.) accused Scalia of espousing racist opinions. Clarence Thomas reportedly had no comment.
- An Ohio man apparently upset Fox News host Lou Dobbs with his zombie nativity scene, complete with an undead baby Jesus.