Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about today.
- Paul Ryan is delusional: His dream of a compassionate GOP that’s the party of “opportunity” is pure fantasy – Salon.com
Ryan may be earnest about transforming the GOP, but a party that allows Trump to exist cannot be an "ideas party."
- 4 Ways The State Of The Union Got Stronger Under Obama
Republicans, who routinely call the Obama presidency a "disaster," won’t believe it. And neither may most Americans, given that majorities consistently tell pollsters they think the U.S. is on the “wrong track.” But when it comes to four key areas of domestic policy — the economy, health care, the federal budget and the environment — Obama will have the better argument.
- Why Is Ramsey Orta, Man Who Filmed Police Killing of Eric Garner, the Only One Criminally Charged?
As Sgt. Kizzy Adonis Adonis becomes the first officer to face reprimand for Eric Garner’s death, the only person present that day to be criminally charged is the young man who filmed it. Ramsey Orta, who recorded the fatal chokehold on his cellphone, has been arrested multiple times since. Orta says police have deliberately targeted him for capturing Garner’s death on video and exposing it to the world.
- David Bowie, R.I.P.: He Used His Voice for Others Who Were Ignored
The iconic artist piled up a strong progressive track record.
- The telling way white Americans react to pictures of dark-skinned immigrants
It’s the lashing-out theory of Trumpmania. President Obama, Sen. Bernie Sanders, and others have speculated that working class whites are signing on to Donald Trump and his inflammatory anti-immigrant rhetoric out of a deepening anxiety over their place in the 21st century American economy.
Some political scientists, however, say antagonism toward immigrants is being driven by a more primal instinct: mistrust of outsiders — or even racial prejudice, either of the conscious or unconscious variety.
- F*ck, yeah! People who swear may actually be smarter than everyone else
Hearing someone use swear words may bother you, or even suggest to you that they’re less verbally intelligent. If that’s the case, however, then you may be surprised by the results of a new study published in Language Sciences. According to the research, a lack of verbal fluency has nothing to do with how often people use profanity.
- Singer David Bowie dies at 69; influential performer of many alter egos
David Bowie influenced glam rock, new wave, punk and high fashion with edgy and androgynous alter egos who invited listeners to explore their personal mysteries.
- Yes, the armed Oregon occupiers would be raided if they weren’t white — same goes if they were leftists
The U.S. gov’t is fundamentally right wing, and supports many of the things the Bundys & militants are calling for.