- I dream about marrying Paul Ryan. That doesn't make it a good idea | Zach Stafford | Opinion | The Guardian
Why are we so often attracted to people who aren’t good for us – those motorcycling bad boys, or conservatives with eyes like the summer sky?
- Why Donald Trump Scares Me As an African
Donald Trump scares me because he is making open hatred and tribalism acceptable. He scares me because many people are actually buying this. He scares me because he is making complex issues seem easily solvable by getting rid of the people who have been chosen to be the scapegoats.
- Homan Square is Chicago's new 'House of Screams' | Flint Taylor
In the 1970s and 80s, torture at one Chicago police station earned it a sinister nickname. Is history repeating itself?
- Most Racism Is Mundane
The everyday experience of a person of color generally doesn’t involve being spat on. But it’s often shaped by race in more ways than a white person might guess.
- Thanks to #BlackLivesMatter, Prosecutors Who Bungle Police Shooting Cases Face Tough Election Fights
An unexpected winner emerged in the March 15 primaries: the movement for black lives. In major upsets, voters in the Chicago and Cleveland areas ousted two sitting prosecutors accused of bungling police-shooting cases.
- It’s not “choices,” it’s pure sexism: Women get paid less for one reason — they’re discriminated against
That said, the notion that women are making "personal choices" to make less money and therefore it can’t be sexism is pure poppycock. Women’s choices aren’t made in a vacuum, but informed by societal and familial expectations and attitudes that steer women away from being full competitors in the workplace and towards prioritizing domestic duties so that men don’t have to deal with them.
- Donna Edwards Is the Only Candidate Who Can Fill Mikulski's Shoes
If you don’t live in Maryland or haven’t paid much attention to the primary race to replace retiring Senator Barbara Mikulski you may not be familiar with Congresswoman Donna Edwards — who since 2008 has served the 4th District with distinction. I’ve been lucky enough to know Donna for nearly 20 years, and to know that her brand of responsive, solution-driven leadership is what Maryland, the Senate, and the country needs most now.