Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about today.
- Taking Note: The Real Purpose of ‘Bathroom Bills’
Ted Cruz and others who support these bills want to frighten and divide Americans.
- How the bathroom controversy exposes rifts in the increasingly fragile Republican coalition
It wouldn’t be an election without a good dose of culture-war sexual politics, and now Donald Trump and Ted Cruz are arguing about bathrooms. Specifically, the question of the law that North Carolina passed — mandating that transgender people use not the bathroom of their identity but of the sex written on their birth certificate — is now a part of the presidential campaign. When Trump was asked about it yesterday, he gave a perfectly sensible answer — but it was the wrong one. And in doing so, he highlighted just how fragile his impending nomination makes the complicated Republican coalition.
- Prince was the weirdo we needed: On race, masculinity & the indelible legacy of a musical icon
For a black kid growing up in the hip-hop generation, Prince was a transcendent figure. I’ll never forget him.
- Opinion: Prince’s Holy Lust
He was one of the most sexual artists of all time — but also one of the most important religious artists of all time.
- America needs to get beyond bathroom talk on transgender issues
The country needs a mature discussion of the needs of transgender individuals.
- Why Does Being a Man Require So Many Masks?
National Book Award-winning poet Terrance Hayes writes about fatherhood and his own struggle to negotiate Americans’ narrow definition of masculinity.
- Beyoncé’s ‘Lemonade’ is the love letter to black women we’ve been thirsting for
Being a black woman means you are sentenced to a lifetime of apologizes. Quiet, deeply ingrained ones that you eventually stop noticing.
- How Racism Sneaks Into Everyday Life
The lives of people of color are shaped by race in more ways than a white person might guess.