- Bernie Sanders opposes the death penalty for Dylann Roof and teaches us something important
Being against the death penalty isn’t always easy, as it means that you can find yourself defending the lives of some truly horrible people who committed some truly horrible crimes. From this perspective, it’s hard to find a more difficult person in the United States to defend right now …
- The Most Important Legacy of Barack and Michelle Obama
In ways that are probably not yet imagined, Barack and Michelle Obama have paved the way for countless young African-Americans to be proud, and aspire to follow in their footsteps.
- The Death Penalty Is Never Appropriate, Even For The Racist Murderer Dylann Roof
The death penalty is arbitrary. It discriminates on the basis of race and income. It kills the innocent. It is unconstitutional. And it may even deepen the wounds of families already grieving from the most terrible tragedy imaginable. Even in the worst of cases, it cannot be justified.
- There's no justice for Freddie Gray in the Edward Nero verdict | Brittany Packnett
Lack of accountability is not a one-off story, it is a trend. And when officers are allowed to act with impunity, the stage is set for more tragedy.
- America’s bathroom bigotry, then and now
Public facilities continue to be the locus of anxiety and prejudice.