Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about today.
- The GOP Wants To Blame Black Misery on Democratic Mayors. Why That’s Wrong.
The claim of sole mayoral responsibility for social and economic problems in urban neighborhoods is belied by another reality: Millions of African Americans live under GOP gubernatorial rule and have been subject to some of the most toxic social and economic policies in recent decades.
- Do Half of Trump’s Supporters Really Belong in a “Basket of Deplorables”?
On Friday, offering remarks at a fundraiser in Manhattan, Hillary Clinton gave her view of Donald Trump’s supporters and caused a scandal by telling the truth.
- Why Urban Rage in America Is a Powder Keg That's Ready to Blow
In the heart of urban poverty in America, wrote Baldwin, rage festers. Tension increases and the police appear more and more like an occupying army. “One day, to everyone’s astonishment,” wrote Baldwin, “someone drops a match in the powder keg and everything blows up.” It is the “astonishment” that rankled Baldwin. How can one be innocent of the social crisis in urban America?
- Op-Ed Contributor: The Rise of Presidential Extremists
Candidates take extreme stands because there is little electoral consequence to doing so.
- What O. J. Simpson Means to Me
Long before he led the police on a chase through L.A., Simpson had been an escape artist.